Search This Blog

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Old Door Two Way TV Mirror







Here is my rustic version of a two way TV Mirror! By far, this is the most unique way that I have ever re-purposed (or should I say, duel purposed) an old door. I have made plenty of headboards using vintage doors but it's rare to have the opportunity to show them off in such a personal space. The use of this old door is different in the way that anyone entering my home will see either a decorative mirror (covering up the black eyesore) or whatever program happens to be showing on the flat screen. 
My plan was to use the entire door but after temping it in place, it was found to be way too big for the room. Improvising, I cut off each side of the door leaving some overhang to enhance the rustic look I was after. I did have to re-work the door panels (removing one and sliding one down) to allow a large enough opening for the two way mirror. Although this did remove the brass hinges, the knob and lock set remained in tact.
After removing the panels, I was left with the perfect sized gap to accept the glass (which can be purchased from your local glass shop). I got mine from Nu-Vu Glass in Twin Falls, ID...Thanks Mason!
I hanged the door using 2 vintage pulleys and some old rope which put the exclamation mark(s) on this piece.
Please feel free to contact me if you have questions about this project OR if you would like Reclaimed Rustics to take care of it for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment